Sunday, June 1, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend








Yeah, yeah, I know I'm a week late but better late than never, right?  Before I share with you what we did on our long weekend, I want to first say thank you to all the men and women who have fought for our country and who are fighting now.  I have many family members in the military and I think it is so important to thank them and know how blessed we are to live in a safe and free country.  Freedom isn't actually free.  Every year, I read the book The Wall by Eve Bunting to my students to explain to them why we are off on Memorial Day.  If you haven't read it before, it's a great book.  It's about a little boy and his dad visiting the Vietnam Memorial in DC.  While reading it, my students and I talk a lot about what it means to be free and the people who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom and safety.  And every year, my students cry because they are so touched by the book and the sacrifice that soldiers have made.  So thank you thank you thank you!

Our Memorial Day weekend was fun and relaxing.  We didn't really have any plans which is nice sometimes.  We ended up at Lowes on Saturday looking at paint colors for our living room and came home with some samples to try.  We were going to go to DC on Sunday with friends but the plans fell through so we went to the driving range instead.  Ben has been asked to go golfing with some friends and he wanted to get a few practice swings in.  The weather was beautiful!!!  On Monday, we decided to go hiking with Riley at a local state park, Patapsco State Park.  The park is HUGE and some of the areas you can bring your dogs.  We hiked about two miles.  Some of it was hiking through the woods and some of it was hiking on paved pathways.  There were a lot of people out and many were playing in the river as we walked by.  Riley enjoyed going in the river as well.  We definitely want to go back and hike some more with her!

 

Once we left the driveway, Riley decided that she wanted to be in the front seat, not the back seat, so she climbed into my lap.  A 50lb dog in your lap isn't the most fun.




She's happy!
 
 

Part of the gigantic park.




 

Too busy looking at everything but the camera.













 

We had so much fun hiking.  We can't wait to go back!  And since you love Riley as much as we do (haha) here are a few more pictures of our favorite furbaby.

 

She thinks she owns the bed.

 

But when she's not sleeping on the bed, she's sleeping on her bed.  If you don't know the story behind this blue comforter, it used to be Kevin's comforter (Ben's brother).  Kevin is Riley's favorite person in the world, hands down.  One night we were at Ben's parents' house and Kim gave us the comforter for Riley.  Turns out, Kevin still wanted it but by then, Riley had slept on it for a few nights so he gave it to her.  Now she loves to sleep on it and we think it's because it smells like Kevin.  She loves her comforter!

Have a great week!  I only have three weeks of school left.  I keep alternating between being so happy and ready for summer and so sad that I only have 15 days left with my kiddos.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment