Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Some big news to share!...and no, its not a baby

I have some great news to share and no, we're not having a baby.  That's pretty much everyone's first thought or question when I say I have news.  No baby yet but I have decided to go back to school!  I will be getting my Master's in Elementary Education through the University of Maryland.  My B.S. is in Animal Science but I have been thinking and preparing for this since my senior year of college.  Even though I enjoyed my classes and my major, I have felt God calling me to do something else, and teaching came to me junior year.  I figured since I was close to being done, I should finish my bachelor's degree and then figure out how to transition into teaching. 

Universities and colleges throughout the state of Maryland offer programs for career changers like me.  I applied for the MCERT program through UMD back in November, had an interview at the beginning of January, and found out last week that I had been accepted.  Some of you may be thinking this is the first time you've heard of this and you'd be right.  I didn't tell many people because I figured if I didn't get in, the less people I would have to tell.  But I got in and now can tell the whole world!

The program starts in June and is a 13month, full-time program.  At the end of it I will have my M.Ed in Elementary Education and be eligible for certification in the state of Maryland.  I will take 12 credits this summer and starting with the school year, I will student teach full time for the entire school year while taking 2-3 evening classes.  It's a demanding course but I am very excited and looking forward to it.  God has certainly blessed me with this opportunity and I can't wait to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment